Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Losing it

You have got to hear this.  

BBC Radio 4 inspires a mesmerizing sense of pride and admiration among the 61 million odd inhabitants of this small island, and has managed to do so without sounding like a state mouthpiece. 

Each show feels warm and intimate, creating a sense of connection through the medium of voice. In spite of the standardized British accent, it never feels alien (unless it's The Archers.. I can't stand that show) Five years ago, new, alone, and without a TV, I sought solace in radio. It ended up being my first, and best, guide to decoding the many oddities of this very Angry Island.
 
How is it possible to have a state run, state owned, monolithic media outfit without an authoritarian government to match? I'm sure it's all explained here. Speaking of giggles, I am reminded of the truism that they tend to erupt at the worst times -- even for Kings. Though not every episode (the King's included, which I found just plain weird) is as charming.


No comments: