Monday, May 12, 2008

I Sing the Body Electronica

It's been a frenzied past few days, spent in partial solitary confinement 'preparing' for an out-of-town conference that finally took place this weekend (more on that later). I probably would have succumb to a nervous breakdown by Friday evening had I not relied on my usual upper. It not only kept me awake, but also riddled me with adrenalin whenever I started to flag. 

And I'm not referring to Red Bull, or positive self-affirmation, or to a plethora of other, more colorful uppers. No, no. I'm talking about Mason & Princess Superstar's single Perfect (Exceeder). It's loud, it's brash, it's in-your-face; what more could one want? Although it's been around for a very long time, it still works for me. Pure adrenalin, I tell you.

The video is fun too, though the song is edited a great deal and sounds more like the club/dance version (eww) than the more streamlined and richly textured electronic version available on iTunes. 



The problem with the video is that it leaves one with last image syndrome. Surely if there's last song syndrome, there's an image equivalent? So as I read my presentation to a room full of bead-wearing, feminist, middle aged women (and one man, the supportive hubby), I kept imagining myself bouncing on an exercise ball, wearing long fake lashes, a visor, and a plunging V neck spandex suit. 
Speaking of exercise ball, I would have been even more inclined to live out my video fantasy had I been sitting on one of these babies: a Gaiam 'balance ball chair,' which claims to 'combine exercise and fitness with comfort and ergonomic back support at an affordable price.' I guess those are important considerations when making a music video.

Now that I have made my love for (and dependence on) this song public, I'm expecting friends to stop returning phone calls, family to disown me, and to be uninvited from polite dinner parties that I haven't been invited to in the first place.

 That's okay. I am prepared to suffer for my Art (sniff).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

everybody's entitled to mind-numbing tunes every now and then. if the falsies didn't make me cringe, i'd even join your imagined re-enactment. :D